NSX
Forex
NCC
TOP STORIES

How we arrested Convicted Former Minister of Power in Kaduna - EFCC

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, who was recently convicted and sentenced in absentia by a Federal High Court, Abuja, for financial crimes.

EFCC Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, told a news conference in Abuja that Mamman was arrested somewhere in Kaduna around 3.30 am on Tuesday.

Olukoyede said that Mamman, who had since  been on the run, was arrested along with two other persons who were harbouring him.

A Federal High Court in Abuja had on May 13, sentenced Mamman to 75 years in prison in absentia for laundering N33.8 billion.

He was convicted of 12 counts of money laundering and fraud amounting to N33.8 billion, connected to the diversion of funds from the Mambilla and Zungeru hydropower projects.

While commending operatives for the arrest, Olukoyede described the development as a demonstration of the Federal Government’s commitment to fighting corruption.

”We want to let Nigerians know about the new development in the fight against corruption in Nigeria.

”You will recall that sometime in January 2025, we filed a charge against the former Minister of Power for allegedly converting over N33 billion money that was set aside for the Manbila and Zungeru power projects.

”About 14 months down the line, but specifically on the 7th of this month, we secured conviction on all the 12 counts.

”But because the main defendant was not present then, he went into hiding, the issue of sentencing was shifted. And on the 13th of this month, he was sentenced in absentia as we know. ”

According to him, since then, the commission has decided to open its intelligence surveillance reconnaissance, looking for him all over the place.

“I’m happy to announce to Nigerians that at about 3.30 a.m today (Tuesday), we arrested Saleh Mamman somewhere in Kaduna.

”This is a test of the commitment of the Federal Government of Nigeria to the fight against corruption in Nigeria, and to assure Nigerians that anyone who has defrauded government or national resources will not go unpunished.

”The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission will always catch up with you wherever you are hiding. So it’s important for us to let Nigerians know that we are working.

According to him, this is a test of the commitment of the Federal Government of Nigeria to the fight against corruption in Nigeria.

“The eagle eye of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission will always catch up with you wherever you are hiding,” he said.

He said that the convict was presently in EFCC custody, adding that procedures for his transfer to the correctional facility were underway.

He further explained that the two persons arrested along with him were under investigation.

”We have discovered that he was actually being protected all this while, and where we effected the arrest, we arrested two other Nigerians who live alongside.

”Also the property, the ownership of the property and all of that, they are still under investigation. Because it’s actually a crime for you to harbour, or to protect, or to give protection to a convicted fellow.”

Olukoyede further said the commission would expand its investigations to cover additional properties allegedly linked to the convict, noting that fresh assets had already been discovered.

The EFCC boss said that the commission had learnt its lesson over the convict case and henceforth would place surveillance on individuals, especially high profile persons under trial.

”Going forward, there is a need for us to also review our processes, particularly as it relates to ongoing court proceedings. For every high-profile case, as a matter of fact, for every corruption case, we must be able to place every defendant under surveillance.

“Because it is not in the interest of the country for someone who is under criminal trial or prosecution to escape from jurisdiction. So, we are going to look at it. We are going to work with the court.”

Credit NAN: Texts excluding Headline

How we arrested Convicted Former Minister of Power in Kaduna - EFCC
News
19-May-2026

Danjuma splashes N3bn at Gowon's Book Launch, says his Leadership stopped Nigeria from disintegration

Former Minister of Defence, Retired General Theophilus Danjuma, on Tuesday in Abuja donated N3 billion at the public presentation of the autobiography of former Head of State, Retired General Yakubu Gowon.

​Aliko Dangote, President of the Dangote Group, also supported the book launch with a donation of N500 million.

​The presentation of the 20-Chapter autobiography, titled, “My Life of Duty and Allegiance,” was attended by Vice President Kashim Shettima who represented President Bola Tinubu, top government officials, members of Diplomatic Corps, and military top brass.

​Danjuma, who served as the Chief Presenter at the event, was represented by a former Chief of Defence Staff, Retired General Martin Luther Agwai.

​Apart from the financial pledge, Danjuma directed that 12 copies of the book be purchased and distributed to the libraries of each of the 20 universities that had awarded honorary doctorate degrees to Gowon over the years.

​In his tribute, Danjuma described Gowon as Nigeria’s foremost living statesman, an international icon, and a wartime commander whose leadership prevented Nigeria from disintegration.

​”General Gowon is not only a household name in Nigeria but also a globally acknowledged leader with an impeccable record in leadership, nation-building and military strategy.

​”His well-recorded slogan of ‘no victor, no vanquished’ after the civil war set the tone for an effective post-war policy of reconciliation, reconstruction, and rehabilitation,” Danjuma said.

The retired General noted that his friendship with Gowon spanned over 70 years, dating back to their childhood days in the Wusasa area of Zaria, adding that the memoir is a “treasure trove of history” and a gift to the world.

​Similarly, Mansur Ahmed, the representative of Dangote, announced the purchase of 25 copies of the book for N500 million to honour the former Head of State.

Ahmed, a Senior Adviser to the richest man in Africa stated that, his boss, Dangote was only a 10-year-old primary school pupil when Gowon was leading the nation through its most turbulent times.

​He said Gowon’s successful efforts to keep Nigeria unified created the stable environment that allowed Dangote to grow up and build a pan-African business empire.

Other corporate leaders and dignitaries also made substantial purchases of the book at the event, including Abdul-Samad Rabiu, the President of BUA Group, who procured copies of the book for N25 million.

​The book was reviewed by Mathew Kukah, a prominent Catholic Cleric, author, and social commentator who has served as the Catholic Bishop of the Diocese of Sokoto since 2011.

Credit NAN: Texts excluding Headline

Danjuma splashes N3bn at Gowon's Book Launch, says his Leadership stopped Nigeria from disintegration
News
19-May-2026

Tinubu laments, condemns 'barbaric' killing of Kidnapped Oyo Teacher

President Bola Tinubu has condemned as “barbaric” the reported killing of one of the abducted teachers from Esiele community in Oyo State, while rescue operations continue.

Bandits invaded the Esiele community in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State on Friday and abducted some staff,  students and pupils from three schools within the area.

The affected schools are Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, and L.A. Primary School, according to official reports from security authorities and the Oyo State Government.

This is contained in a statement issued by Presidential Spokesperson, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday in Abuja.

Tinubu said that security operatives were currently working round the clock to rescue the remaining victims and apprehend the bandits and their collaborators operating within the affected communities.

He sympathised with Governor Seyi Makinde, the government and people of Oyo State over the incident and assured them of the Federal Government’s support in ongoing rescue efforts.

“I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken.

“I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims. The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims,” the President said.

Tinubu also commended the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara states for their swift intervention following the attack.

The president disclosed that the IGP was personally leading what he described as a technology-driven operation aimed at rescuing the victims and tracking the criminals.

“The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon.

“The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.”

Tinubu further stated that recurring kidnapping incidents across parts of the country had strengthened the case for the establishment of state police structures nationwide.

“Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas.

“The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police,” he said. 

Credit NAN: Texts excluding Headline

Tinubu laments, condemns 'barbaric' killing of Kidnapped Oyo Teacher
News
18-May-2026

News